Benefits & Subsidies

Benefits & Subsidies

The Canada Child Benefits

Administered by the CRA, the Canada Child Benefits (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment to eligible families in efforts to help them raise their children under the age of 18.

Eligible applicant must meet all of the following conditions

  • You live with a child who is under 18 years of age
  • You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child
  • You are a resident of Canada for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be any of the following:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indigenous person who meets the definition of “Indian” under the Indian Act.
  • The annual income of your household does not exceed CAD 120,000

What makes it complicated

If you share custody of a child with your partner from a previous relationship or marriage, please inform the CRA of your custody agreement. Each parent will get exactly 50% of the sum benefit they would have received as a couple.

However, if the child spends their time mostly with you, you are considered to have full custody for the purposes of the CCB. The CRA will not split the sum benefit between you and the other parent.

By the same token, if the CRA considers the other parent to have full custody of the child for the purposes of CCB, you will not receive any of the benefit.

If a temporary change in custody occurs, please inform the CRA of the change. The parent who temporarily holds full custody of the child will receive the full amount of the CCB for the determined period.

What Ke Wang does

We help determine your eligibility for the benefit and take care of every aspect of the application. Book a consultation with us today and wait for the money to come to you!

Ke Wang CPA

Phone: +1 416-551-5550 / +1 416-456-2225